[Gllug] Trademark

Dylan Brewis dylan at exoletus.fsnet.co.uk
Fri May 10 19:33:41 UTC 2002

On Friday 10 May 2002 09:22, Stuart Children wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:25:30PM +0000, Dylan Brewis wrote:
> > On an obliquely related note, on the front page where is often says:
> >
> > this site is best viewd in M$IE<some rediculously high number>
> >
> > I intend to say
> >
> > This site is not optimised for M$IE blah blah
> >
> > anyone know of a recognisable "non-MS" logo/gif thingy?
>
> Not a non-MS one, but when I did this in the past I tended to put an
> "anybrowser" logo and link (see http://www.anybrowser.com/linktous.html or
> similar). There are logos for other browsers, and I've certainly have
> seen anti-MS ones around, but I don't have any references to hand.

Great! looks like just the starting point I need.

> I stopped doing that a while back though. Now I desgin purely on
> well-supported (across current browsers) web standards and usually find
> it then displays great in Mozilla/IE/lynx/whatever. I don't like wasting
> space and bandwidth by sticking messages and images on all my pages as I
> try to keep my pages clear and the content relevent. I'm happy knowing
> that my HTML is standards compliant and usable by all. I try to do my
> advocacy where I can actually engage with people: email, IRC, etc;
> talking to people that actually matter - those who design the websites.
> I sometimes email webmasters (normally just when something misconfigured
> or incorrectly coded makes their site unusable for me) and have had some
> positive results. IMO this kind of thing makes more of a difference than
> annoying my viewers.
>
> That said, if you want to put something on your site (and I do on some)
> then I would recommend doing something that is educational to your
> visitors. Show them your code is standards compliant (check with and use
> the logo from http://validator.w3.org/ perhaps). Teach them why this is a
> good thing (rather than just sticking an image up which makes you look
> like you hate MS without any reason - most people sadly don't know or
> understand about these things), and what alternatives there are to IE.
> Perhaps put a logo (just on your frontpage) linking to one of the sites
> I've mentioned above, but also have a separate page on your site that you
> link to explaining why your design is good, why "requires browser X,
> resolution Y, proprietary plugin Z to do anything remotely useful" is bad,
> and some information on web standards and browsers such as Mozilla.

Well, this is for my personal site, so although I take your points and fully
agree it's not tremendously significant here. Also, the reason I want the
trademark and browser friendly info is to put into my rant about MS and rave
about penguinness - so I figure I'll polish my halo ;)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk