[Gllug] Reiserfs gotchas?

Matthew Kirkwood matthew at hairy.beasts.org
Thu May 9 12:21:14 UTC 2002

On 9 May 2002, Stephen Harker wrote:

> > > reiserfs module from as its too big to build into the kernel statically
> >
> > Why is it too big?
[..]

> Well depending on how much stuff you have in the kernel, it might not
> fit. The size issue is not how big the kernel is when running and
> fully loaded with modules but how big the actual base kernel image
> (/boot/vmlinuz) is because there is an upper limit (I've forgotten how
> big) above which it won't boot (or lilo cant boot it I can't remember
> which). Thats why you do a make bzImage because the kernel is bzip2
> compressed in order to keep the file size down.

Wrong.  bzImage kernels are still just gzip compressed.  The
"b" stands for "big" -- it affects only the way the kernel is
loaded, not its size.  The only reason that regular zImage
kernels are still available is that the bzImage ones don't
boot on some older machines with really buggy BIOSes.

Matthew.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk