[Gllug] Compiling a Kernel

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Mon May 27 14:57:07 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-05-27 at 15:23, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> > > cp /vmlinuz /vmlinuz-2.4.16
> > > cp new_bzImage /vmlinuz
> > > lilo
> >
> > No need for those (and you missed the System.map file).  You can just
> > type
> >
> > make install
>
> When I rebooted the machine I got a kernel panic with lots of the following
>
> can't open /lib/modules/2.4.18/modules.deb"
>
> Why has this happened? What is it, do I need to create the modules.dep
> somehow then unpack it?????? Does make install do this for me??

Are you running the 2.4.x kernel with or without an initrd.img RamDisk?

What is the root filesystem type?

Is it panicking at the stage where it is trying to read the modules from
the initrd image or is it after this when it has mountd the root
filesystem and trying to read them from there?

And are you sure it says 'modules.*deb*" and not "modules.*dep*"

> I am sure that I have just missed something daft.
Not necessarily :-)

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk