[Gllug] Perl / PHP

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sat May 11 13:45:48 UTC 2002

Just have to join in on this. I am not, and never have been, a professional It
person at all, so I can generally be pretty iresponsible, though I have
written a fair bit of Perl/CGI stuff now. I have written no PHP.

Using Perl reminded me of writing BASIC programs on my ZX80 machine all those
years ago - all those nasty things that they tried to drill out of me at
University are all possible, all that type safe stuff goes for a burton.

That means it is very easy to write some very flexible and powerful code with
it. It also means that it is almost certainly very difficult to maintain.

It is no accident Perl is famous for the way it is possible to write utterly
incomprehensible code with.

On the other hand it is no accident that Perl is the language of choice for
most of the internet. It is a hacker's joy and fun to use.

Adrian - wearing his "just another Perl hacker" tee shirt today

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk