[Gllug] MAIL environment variable

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed May 1 00:06:15 UTC 2002

Stan(stan at plato.wadham.ox.ac.uk)@Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 02:16:32PM +0100:
> > I think you'll find that /etc/csh.login is the right place to do this
> > for csh derived shells.
>
> Ahh well after
>
> man tcsh (should have done that to start with) I decided to put it in
> /etc/csh.cshrc
>
> It strikes me as a bit of a pain that I have to edit this in a few
> places (ie for bash, csh etc I was hoping that there would be a system
> setting I could change)

there is.  you did.
it's just the two programs are completely different ( other than both
being shells ) and so they have different global config files.

you could always get rid of csh and use the one true shell.  that way
you would have only one config file to change.

on my MDK system, you can just drop files into /etc/profile.d anything
ending in .sh gets sourced by sh shells, as do .csh files for csh.
IMHO, this is a much better way of doing things.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk