[Gllug] DAC960 driver and Grub issues

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue May 28 16:58:46 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 6:43 pm, Andrew Och wrote:
> Dear All
>
> Has anyone else experienced a problem booting Linux using Grubv 0.91 and
> v0.92 when the system is installed on a Mylex Accelraid 170 RAID 1
> array?
>
> The problem is that when I try to boot, the system stops with the error
> message:
>
> Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream
>
> This occurs with Debian, Redhat 7.2, and Suse 7.3 / 8.0 and has been
> tried with ext2, ext3 and Reiserfs partitions.
>
> IBM who own Mylex sent me an email telling me that since they didn't
> write the driver and should really take this up with the Grub
> maintainer.
>
> So much for IBM's Linux support!
>
> Best regards
> Andrew Och

there have been a couple of similar questions on the grub maillist lately
- - unfortunatley they are unanswered but ...

Subject: When Might GRUB Work With RAID-0?
From: "Jud" <jud at myrealbox.com>
To: bug-grub at gnu.org
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:54:20 -0400

- From reading the mailing list, it appears that GRUB works with RAID-1 on ex=
t2fs.  I'm running FreeBSD (and Win2K) on a RAID-0 array.  Before I set u=
p the array, GRUB was my preferred boot loader.

I was wondering whether there are plans to get GRUB to work with RAID level=
s other than RAID-1, and with RAID on other filesystems.

Jud

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk