[Gllug] [OT] software packaging

James Hollingshead james at hollo.org
Wed May 29 23:17:34 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 10:22:32AM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:

> Aki, a question somewhat related. More of a personal preference issue:
>
> I am using CVS to manage my project. Should I include only the
> configure.in / Makefile.am in my cvs repository and run
> 'aclocal && autoheader && automake --foreign --add-missing && autoconf'
> before tar'ing down for 'shipping', or should I include all the files
> created by autoconf/automake in my repository?

I just keep the Makefile.am, configure.in, and also bootstrap (which
contains the aclocal &&..." line above) in cvs. ./bootstrap only needs
running on a brand new checkout though - the rest of the time the
generated Makefile should notice if configure.in or Makefile.am has
changed and run automake etc. when you type make.

As for shipping, "make dist" should do the job for you. It produces a
hello-0.0.1.tar.gz with all your sources, the Makefiles, and a README
and COPYING file if it finds them. If there are other files you want
distributed you can specify them in an "EXTRA_DIST = ...." line at the
end of your Makefile.am. Handy for avoiding accidentally shipping the
confidential files that found their way into your source dir. :)

James

P.S. To answer your question about how long I've been lurking, only a
few days. I've been on the OxLUG list for quite a while, but since it
is nearly three years now since I lived in Oxford I thought it was
about time I subscribed to Gllug.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk