[Gllug] Perl / PHP

Nick Mailer nickm at positive-internet.com
Fri May 10 09:54:33 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 10:20, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >What utter nonsense. I've seen beautifully written Perl and terribly
> >tortuous PHP. FUD, Sir. FUD. And unimaginative, thrice-removed FUD.
>
> As have I (indeed, I'd like to think that the Perl *I've* written
> is well written :-), but it's irrelevant to the argument here.
>
> Given 100 samples of each, you're likely to find that the majority
> of both are badly written, but the PHP will at least be readable,
> whereas the Perl won't...

Not true at all. I have, in my professional year, seen at least 100
samples of each, and I have to say that I've found PHP much more
tortuous - probably because its COBOLscripty "throw everything into the
main namespace and pretend to emulate OO" crudiness causes people to do
all sorts of unpleasant things - recursive includes, hundreds of
propriatory database class wrappers and all sorts. Yech.

And yes, I'm speaking about real-world examples here. PHP is
architecturally horrific.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk