[Gllug] n00b alert ;-) - Device Driver -> Segfault :-(

Matthew Palmer matthew at tinfoil.demon.co.uk
Mon May 6 23:07:28 UTC 2002

Greetings list :-)

Whilst not green with GNU/Linux I'm still feeling my way round.  Just so
that you know I'm not a genius ;-)

My problem:  My distro of choice is SuSE Linux and I'm currently using
version 7.3.  I have an ADSL connection which currently runs off of a
Alcatel Stingray USB device which I'd like to replace with a Dabs PCI ADSL
Modem (Conexant chipset - drivers by ITeX).  In preparation for compiling
the source code drivers (of which more in a minute) I've downloaded and
(eventually successfully ;-)) compiled/installed a SuSE 2.4.16 Kernel from
one of the SuSE FTP mirrors.  The Kernel is compiled with only needed
drivers and optimised for the AMD K6 CPU in that PC.  The PC boots fine as
far as I can see with no error messages.

The Modem drivers supplied on the CDROM with the modem are set out for Red
Hat 7.1 and Kernel 2.4.3.  The Makefiles list kgcc as the compiler target
and non-existent (on SuSE anyway) directories as the targets for the
compiled binaries and the odd script.  I've modified the compiler target to
gcc rather than kgcc, created the target directories (I'll link to the
files from a more appropriate location) to enable the make and install
process run.  I also modified the target for the Kernel revision.  After a
"make all" and "make install" the result is a Kernel module in the
lib/modules tree and several binaries in /usr/bin for managing the
modem.  Using insmod to load the Kernel module results in a insmod error
after which any command results in a Segmentation Error.  It is impossible
to salvage the system and a hard reboot is required.

My question is has a change been made to the Kernel since 2.4.3 which makes
the driver fail when compiled for 2.4.16 i.e. I'm wasting my time on
this?  Do the processor type targets need to match from the Kernel to the
driver - Kernel=k6 Driver=i486?  Are there any snippets of logfiles I can
post which would help identify the root cause (pun intended ;-) ) of the
problem?

The topic of using these drivers did crop up on the Linux forum of
ADSLGuide recently but I'm not sure what I'd doing differently from the guy
who did get it working.

Many thanks for your time :-)
Matthew Palmer.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk