[Gllug] Sony Vaio

Axel Segebrecht axel.segebrecht at gardeneden.net
Thu May 2 22:10:23 UTC 2002

Dave Jones said:
> > phONY says "sorry, it's supposed to last *that* long (40min max)
> > 'cause it's a desktop replacement".
>
> -ENOCLUE. He's talking bollocks.

nope i'm not talking bollocks. this is what several phONY managers told
me! their service staff usually knows nothing and has to check back with
their supervisors who then tell me the same...

> > The extended batt pack is what other manufacturers put into their
> > machines as standard! Therefore I don't consider a battery that lasts
> > 1.5hrs as 'extended'.
>
> *nod*, again with the improved ACPI idling, that should be stretched
> somewhat.

dunno about that.. but the client is gone and i'm sitting on a lot of
wasted time... and money sadly.

> Well, it's likely due to a Linux shortfalling that this issue occurs.
> Does Windows last longer on battery ? If so, then this is due to them
> having a more complete ACPI implementation than we do.

tbh i haven't tried linux on it so i wouldn't know. the VAIO is still
with the customer and i doubt he'll be letting me anywhere near it...

on a lighter note: my new iBook runs like a dream (although it's slow
with only 128mb ram). the battery lasts forever (3h+) and you can run
debian (or different) on it without probs' ;D highly recommended if
you are looking for small, lightweight and looks... *****

Regards,
Axel Segebrecht

Gardeneden Network - The Open Platform for Free People
http://gardeneden.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk