[Gllug] More CVS wor

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri May 3 15:21:31 UTC 2002

This is slightly OT, so just shout at me if you think I'm stepping too
far OT.

I sincerely hope that some of you code gurus out there can help
out. I'm still getting grips with CVS, and it's being an entertaining
experience. I've now run into a problem, and I'd like your advice on
getting out of this hole:

$ cvs ci EJBUserImpl.java
cvs commit: use `cvs add' to create an entry for EJBUserImpl.java
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!
$ cvs add EJBUserImpl.java
cvs server: EJBUserImpl.java added independently by second party
$ cvs ci EJBUserImpl.java
cvs commit: use `cvs add' to create an entry for EJBUserImpl.java
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

The message is right. I added the file when working with the archive
on another machine. I then tarballed my source tree, moved it home,
edited it, brought it back to work and unpacked the new archive
containing the edited file.

The question is: how do I get to the stage where I can just add my
freshly edited files to the CVS repository? Google mentions getting
hold of tagged files, creating a new branch and merging the new files
back in that way. This is fine, but I'm not sure that I've created any
tags (certainly none explicitly) so what to do?

On a related note, I frequently work on a bunch of new code at home,
adding a handful of files and editing various other ones. By the time
I get the archive back to work, I can't remember which ones I've
edited. Short of doing a "find", can CVS be made to do the leg work
for me?[1]

Cheers,

Simon

[1] That'll be laziness then :)

--
Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
		-- D.E. Knuth

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk