[Gllug] Filesystems again :)

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu May 16 10:53:31 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 11:37, pauln at truemesh.com wrote:
> More pondering on how to do high availability storage :)

What do you mean by high availability storage?

I'm quite interested in this area in general,
but sadly have never had the chance to play with things
like that :-(

Not really related, but I went to a talk on storage by
Steven Sicola of Compaq.
Lots of cool stuff about big storage arrays,
and replicating data between data centres etc.

Also he was talking about a new generation of 2 1/2 inch
disk drives (not laptop drives). One platter only, and very
high rotational speeds. Not the ultimate in high capacity,
but bung a lot of them in a cabinet and you get good
performacne for lots of random I/O (ie databases).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk