[Gllug] Filesystems again :)

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu May 16 15:55:10 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:38:23AM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:25:52AM +0100, Kim Hawtin wrote:
> > On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:13:05AM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> > > I have found that a file system mounted from an NT box using smbfs has
> > > problems if/when the NT box dies & comes back again ... the share isn't
> > > remounted - this is one thing that NFS does. Are you saying that it
> > > remounts cleanly for you ?
> > > Admittedly the last time that I tried was a year ago.
> >
> > i've not played with it in years, but is an auto mount deamon more
> > what you are looking for?
> >
> > there are at least two, and can mount and unmount FS on demand.
>
> No, that is not the problem. automount just allows a file to be unmounted
> when it has not been used for some time. It won't cure the problem when
> the NT box goes away unexpectedly.

I had a cron job that would check for the existance of a certain
file. If it was there and unreadable, then the mount was assumed to
have "gone bad". Forcefully smbumounting and remounting seemed to get
things back to working order. Not elegant by any stretch of the
imagination, but it worked.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"My theory is that the (Internet) industry was started in
 large part by technologists rather than media people..."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk