[Gllug] Exim and virtual domains

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Fri May 17 08:24:22 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 19:23, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:20:09AM +0100, Martyn wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 May 2002 09:55:31 +0100 Paul Brazier wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone give me some pointers to setting up "virtual domains" in
> > > Exim? Is this what exim calls "directors"? The documentation looks >
> > > very comprehensive but assumes you know all the jargon etc.
> >
> > This is very easy.  Firstly, you're quite right about the directors.
>
> Well, no.  Every process you configure to deliver local mail is a

Pedant: transports deliver, the directors send the mail to the correct
transport (or re-write the address ;)

> Unlike Postfix, Exim has no built-in support for virtual domains - you
> have to build them yourself in the config file (Paul's example is an
> adaption of the built-in alias support).  This means more initial
> work but the big advantage is that you can design them to work exactly
> the way you want.  You could define a virtual domain director that only
> rewrote mail that came from a particular source, to pick a trivial
> example.

The system on the internal box in the office is a prime example of
bastard directors and transports, everything gets tossed through
spamassassin and then the cardiff alias file get applied which re-writes
based on a smartuser director and then everything else hits a domain
specific alias file anything which gets through that bounces (yes I can
see the ineffciencies but it works at the moment so I'm not fixing it :)

Of course we throw many of the concepts away with exim4, so who's
playing with that at the moment? :)

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/