[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Nov 27 14:45:16 UTC 2002

Dylan wrote:

>>Definately               =   Definitely
>>

>Johnson /et al/ have a lot to answer for. A google on *definitely* hits
>667,000 results, *definitely* hits 6,690,000. ~10% 'misuse' or errors is more
>than enough for a variant spelling to be acknowledged.

Just because there is a great mass of ill-educated peons 'out there'
masquerading as 'the public' does not mean that we must pander to their
lack of will to learn.

Just as I do not see that we should consider 2 + 2 = 5 just to make
counting and rounding easier for those that have difficulty counting.

If you do not tolerate it in Maths / Physics why should you tolerate it
is a subject that may be just as precise, English?

Kind regards,

Xander

--
"Those who believe in astrology are living in houses with foundations of
Silly Putty."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk