[Gllug] postfix setup: How do I find out what host I am?

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Nov 29 10:20:43 UTC 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:16:32AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Laurence Turpin wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to setup postfix on a standalone pc.
> > According to some instructions I have I need to configure my main.cf
> >
> > myhostname = yourhost.someprovider.com

the myhostname variable is the name of the box in my case mumia

> > mydomain = someprovider.com

The mydomain variable is used if you are running your own domain in my
case lateral.net.

> > myorigin = $mydomain

I wouldn't worry about about this you don't need it.  If you are a
single machine you only need to worry about sending mail from a local
account.

I am a bit tired having been up all night and can not really think
straight enough to help you with a walk through but the following
commands should help you to solve your problems with help of some other
kind members of the list.

As root;

"postconf -n" this gives you a list of variables configured in main.cf

"postfix check" this tells you if postfix is working properly and will
spew out bumph if it isn't.

"postfix reload" will make postfix reload the main.cf must be done after
changing the config file.

"tail -f /var/log/syslog" or where ever your postfix logs to on your
machine will tell you what is going on in real time and will help
diagnose any mistakes made in configuration.

> Laurence, I agree with Andy's reply.
> Are you sure that you need to do this, given that you are using a single
> PC with virgin net as your ISP?
> It might be helpful if you give us a bit more info on your setup.
>

> By the way, as Postfix configuration has come up a few times on the list,
> I can say that buying a book on it is definitely a good investment.
> The one I used was titled 'Postfix', author Richard Blum, published by
> Sams.

Blums book is a bit out of date now there is an O'reilly book out which
is more up to date.

the best place for support on Postfix is www.postfix.org and its mailing
list.  The problem is that despite Postfix being a very simple and
powerful MTA to use its documentation is not aimed at beginers.

If you are getting really stuck and frustrated consider Exim as there
seem to be more beginers tutorials out there for it.
http://rute.sourceforge.net has a good walk through for setting up Exim
for beginers.  If you can stick with Postfix however as I want more
Postfix admins on this list. :)

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk