[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report (Seriously OT now!)

John Winters john at linuxemporium.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 08:31:35 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 02:26, Jonathan Harker wrote:
[snip]
> <peeve>
> Mixing up me, myself and I - this is so EASY and yet so often misused. eg. "Me
> and Steve are going to the pub." One would never say "Me is going to the
> pub", one would say "I am going to the pub", therefore "Steve and I are going
> to the pub.", always putting yourself last on the list. See? Easy.
>
> Similarly, "Bruce bought loads of beer for Steve and I" would infer

Since we're being pedantic, that should be "imply".  "Infer" means
something quite different.

> "Bruce
> bought loads of beer for I", which sounds daft, so it should be "Bruce bought
> lots of beer for Steve and me".
>
> Where you are doing something to/with/for (dative) a group that includes
> yourself, use myself, eg. "I bought lots of beer for Steve and myself."

Congratulations!  I've sought for a long time for an example where
"Steve and myself" would be correct.  It's usually used by Daily Mail
readers where "Steve and me" would be correct but they can't bring
themselves to say "Steve and me".

John

--
The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk