[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Nov 25 21:35:25 UTC 2002

On Monday 25 November 2002 20:13, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> This month overall was much better!

Do we get a point each in our merit books?

> Still, pin this on the wall -
>
> Your welcome             =   You're welcome

The baneful apostrophe. Still, if we were taught what they were for rather
than when to use them it might be easier!

> I want one to            =   I want one too
> This is to much          =   This is too much

Oh, come now - it's all too easy to mistype, especially when typing double
letters at speed.

> Definately               =   Definitely

Johnson /et al/ have a lot to answer for. A google on *definitely* hits
667,000 results, *definitely* hits 6,690,000. ~10% 'misuse' or errors is more
than enough for a variant spelling to be acknowledged.

> I could of done it       =   I could have done it

Actually, it = I could've done it.

One of the most interesting developments in English syntax at the moment is
the re-analysis of some auxiliary verbs. *wanna* and *gonna* are showing
clear signs that they are starting to function as single words, rather than
'contractions' of *want to* and *going to*, vis.:

- forming subjectless sentences ('wanna have a drink?' vs. 'like to have a
drink' which needs an 'echo' or 'supportive' *do* and a subject)

- occuring in 3rd person singular: 'he wanna see the film'

[but note, these usages are still marginal for adults, but can be heard
regularly from teenagers]

"So what does this have to do with 'could of'?" I hear you ask! Well, many
prepositions in English can function as verbs (up the ante, down a drink,
......) However, *of*, in virtue of its semantics, does not lend itself to
this form of conversion. On the other hand, the reduced form of *have* and
that of *of* are identical in rapid spontaneous speech. Given that a child
acquiring English learns that prepositions can function as verbs, it is
entirely reasonable that on hearing 'I could've done it' equates the two. In
that sense, *of* here is NOT a preposition (notwithstanding the superficial
resemblance) but a 'suppletive' variant of *have*. This is precisely how the
infinitive marker *to* arose when English lost its verbal inflexions (c.f
German.)

When I read the mail containing "I could of ..." I was excited to see the
living development of the language coming through before my eyes, as
confirmation of the process.

> Usual ESL exceptions apply

The usual ESL exceptions apply.

Dylan