[Gllug] imasq inconsistent

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 22:44:24 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 21:03, Branden Faulls wrote:
> Paul Cupis wrote:
> >You need to add a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d to run /etc/init.d/ipmasq
> > restart and a script in /etc/ppp/ip-down.d to do the same.
> >
> >Actually, I just checked one of my systems here, and I have set up this
> > file:
> >
> >paul at main:~$ cat /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/60ipmasq
> >#! /bin/sh
> >
> >PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
> >
> >test -f /usr/sbin/ipmasq || exit 0
> >
> >set -e
> >
> >/usr/sbin/ipmasq
> >paul at main:~$
> >
> >Which does the job for me. I have the exact same file in
> > /etc/ppp/ip-down.d (hmmm, that should probably be a symlink).
> >
> >Well, that is how I solved that problem here, but now I look at it again,
> > the script should probably call /etc/init.d/ipmasq restart.
>
> I set up /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/00ipmasq as described and it still requires a
> fair amount of voodoo to get it working.
>
> I still have to manually restart my ethernet interface ($ ifconfig eth0
> .....)
> ...then restart masquerading ($ ipmasq)
> ... and then it may or may not work after starting my dialup connection
> ($ pon)
>
> This requires a lot of  jumping back and forth as root, not exactly the
> elegant solution I'd hoped for.
>
> Plus side is that I can access the Web from $MS and Linux over wireless
> (although I can't ping outside IP addresses from them?!?)  Things are
> peachy until I have to reboot!
>
> Which network script is fubar-ed?

Could you give a little more detail on your network setup, please?

I presume eth0 is the interface to your internal network, and ppp0 is your
dialup interface. Scripts added to /etc/ppp/ip-up.d will only be run when
your ppp connection is activated (using pon, for example). If you want a
script (such as ipmasq) to run whenever you bring up the eth0 interface, you
can put a script in /etc/network/if-up.d (from memory).

Oh, and you may find using ifup/ifdown a better solution than calling ifconfig
directly, especially if your /etc/network/interfaces configuration is
correct.

Paul Cupis
- --
paul at cupis.co.uk