[Gllug] ADSL or cable?

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Mon Nov 11 09:49:47 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 09:09, Daniel Andersson wrote:
> > Since my dial-up connection was cut to 33kbps when BT installed a DACS
> > box recently, I've been thinking about switching to ADSL or cable modem.
> > I also need a fast connection for updating my Linux and FreeBSD machines.
> >
> > Is either one better than the other? Any recommendations?
>
> don't know what the adsl-people provide, but blueyonder can provide you with
> a 1mbit connection, which is quite nice compared to 0.5mbit (duh)

ADSL (assuming it's BT's wholesale product which is what most ISPs are
actually selling) is sold in the following flavours

'home' or 'single user'
512kbps @ 50:1 contention

'business' or 'network'
512kbps @ 20:1 contention
1Mbps @ 20:1 contention
2Mbps @ 20:1 contention

The traffic is hauled over BT's network to the ISP where all the ADSL
traffic is presented down one or more Central Pipes (CP)

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk