[Gllug] Installing linux from a parallel port CDROM drive

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Wed Nov 20 13:20:10 UTC 2002

Is it possible?
My father has an old PC and he wants to have a play with linux on it.  The
PC only has a CDROM that is attached via the parallel port.  Having a search
around I've discovered that linux has support for some of these devices
(using paride, ATAPI CDROM and other drivers).  Sorry but I can't remember
the make off the top of my head but assuming that it is supported, does
anyone know of any distributions that have boot disks that will enable him
to install linux from a CDROM in this drive?

If not then we'll probably either buy a IDE CDROM to replace the current one
or stick a network card in and use that to install far enough to get the
CDROM working.

Although, I have a sneaky suspicion that we may be able to take the drive
out of it's external case and stick it in the PC if it's an IDE or SCSI
drive (although SCSI will require a controller).

JD

--
Jonathan Dye, The Automation Partnership(Cambridge) Ltd
Registered Office: York Way, Royston, Hertfordshire, SG8 5WY, UK
mailto:jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk