[Gllug] ADSL or cable?

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Tue Nov 12 12:33:49 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 19:45, Ian Northeast wrote:
[...]
> NTL told me that there is no contention ratio on their cable service and

Hah.  I don't think there's any network / ISP in the world which doesn't
contend all or part of it's network.  If NTL are trying to claim that
they don't contend their cable service at all then they are implying
that they can handle all their customers blasting at full bore all the
way to the first hop beyond on their border (which I find hard to
believe).

> experience bears this out, I get a good 1Mb/s and can download a CD in
> an hour and a half, reliably. A friend subscribed to their 128Kb/s
> service and we measured her connection at about 190Kb/s. Mine delivers
> exactly what was promised.

I suspect they mean that they don't have a planned contention ratio on
the network, whcih works both ways as far as the customer is concerned.

[...]
> Upstream bandwidth is only about 140Kb/s.

So less than ADSL (if not contended by other users in the VP)

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk