[Gllug] Linuxemporium - Pink Tie

George Saxby George.Saxby at racc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 21 14:55:06 UTC 2002

>>> adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com 11/21/02 01:20pm >>>
George Saxby wrote:

> <SNIP>
>

> Not to be a smug Debian user, but the only answer is a distribution
> with a real committment to remaining Free.
>
> It may be free but it isi still as far as Joe Public is concerned unusable, compared with RH or better still Mandrake. I can give my 12 old a Mandy or RH box to set up from scratch and she make a passable job of it, her comment on the latest debian from the LINUXEXPO was and I quote " OK very funny dad now give me the upto date discs not your old tat from years gone by, thought you could catch me Huh?"

Its funny though, what attracted me to Debian is that I have been able
to install it on any machine I have ever met. I have had many problems
trying to install Mandrake, Redhat etc. onto various machines in the
past because they have tried to do flashy things with the installer and
use the most cutting edge software that they can find. If it wasn't for
Debian I would have given up hope with Linux as Redhat wouldn't install
on my machine back then. Debian has a much more flexible installer than
any of the other distros, and can be installed on many more
architectures than Redhat or Mandrake which means you have to make some
sacrifices in the installer in that you can't rely on having the same
hardware support that you would get in the x86 world.

Adam,
 Do not get me wrong Debian is fine for the older LINUX & Unix users even  I actually do have debian running . The point i am trying to get over is the perception of this smug elitist distribution that  does Linux no favours.
        If you disagree so be it but I suggest you look @ page 44 of Computer weekly"what IT directors say:-" You and I know that LINUX is NOT what they claim BUT the general perception is exact ly that.

       Joe Public is new to computers does a little word processing,gaming, surfing & mailing. All he / she  has ever seen thrown up in front of him /her  is Mickysoft & intel.Those that dabble, will upgrade themselves, are spoilt by the ease of a Mickysoft install and THAT is the only yard stick they know.

    Until Linux can be installed to this same "standard" we as LINUX users are going to be perceived as geeks /beards & sandels / wunderkind and will not be joined by the main stream.

   A local college ruled out LINUX simply because the advocates for implementing it were perceived as a threat and and the management did not quote" want to be held to ransom by some scruffy nerds"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

George F. Saxby
    Systems Engineer
       I.T.S. Team