[Gllug] Linuxemporium - Pink Tie

George Saxby George.Saxby at racc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 21 15:35:32 UTC 2002

George F. Saxby
    Systems Engineer
       I.T.S. Team

>>> adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com 11/21/02 03:12pm >>>
George Saxby wrote:

> Adam,
>  Do not get me wrong Debian is fine for the older LINUX & Unix users even  I actually do have debian running . The point i am trying to get over is the perception of this smug elitist distribution that  does Linux no favours.
>         If you disagree so be it but I suggest you look @ page 44 of Computer weekly"what IT directors say:-" You and I know that LINUX is NOT what they claim BUT the general perception is exact ly that.

Its not just debian, thats linux in general for most people, all windows
users who feel threatened that they are not running the "best" OS will
find reasons to say the other side are smug elitists, in linux case this
is because of hacker culture and beards, for the Mac, windows users will
say that mac users are elitist rich snobby artists.

 No argument from me  there

I don't see how/why you claim that Debian is elitist, I can find many
people who are "elitist" about their own distros, the very line you are
painting itself could be considered elitist if you look at it from a
different point of view. Most Debian users don't really care how many
people run Debian, the point I was outlining is that Debian will not
give up its flexibility to cater to the demands of x86 pc users at the
expense of other users of the less used architectures and if it did many
people would leave the distro and start a new founded on the basis of
doing things right rather than to make things easy for a few people.

I hope that what you say never happens who needs another fork.

>        Joe Public is new to computers does a little word processing,gaming, surfing & mailing. All he / she  has ever seen thrown up in front of him /her  is Mickysoft & intel.Those that dabble, will upgrade themselves, are spoilt by the ease of a Mickysoft install and THAT is the only yard stick they know.
>
>     Until Linux can be installed to this same "standard" we as LINUX users are going to be perceived as geeks /beards & sandels / wunderkind and will not be joined by the main stream.

This again is a silly perception,

Hey who said perceptions had to make sense. not me

 windows is not easy to install.

It is compared to most distro's of LINUX, yup it has glitches ( I know I get called to fix 'em often enough but I also turn up at a clients and find our index of O/s is out of date because some one in house has upgraded and when asked are quite proud they could do it so easily.

Computer operating systems are not easy to install, until there is "one
way" to install every OS there will always be a perception that
everything else is difficult to install/use etc. etc. Most people don't
care what OS they run, we care thats why we run linux

Here here

, and people who
want to change will.

 What most people want is to be able to get tasks
done, moving to Linux will stop most of them getting things done.

Therefore saying that Joe Public say Debian is unusable is complete
rubbish, for this kind of Joe Public Linux is unusable as it isn't windows.

yes that is the perception even though you & I know better as we use Linux, but us knowing does not alter the perception.

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk