[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report (Seriously OT now!)

Stig Brautaset gllug at brautaset.org
Fri Nov 29 12:33:36 UTC 2002

On Nov 29 2002, Ivan wrote:
[...]
> I have been living in London for 2 years and I am married to a fantastic
> British girl !!!

Is she reading this list by any chance? :D
</joke>

> Unfortunately in UK, generally speaking, grammar is not thought properly.
> In Italy, or France for ex., grammar is thought during your entire school
> carreer.
> This makes much easier for us to learn foreign languages, because we know
> what an adjective, a adverb, etc. is.

I'll buy that. I'm quite confident that my English would be radically
worse if it wasn't for my two years of learning German in school. The
teacher was regarded the teacher from hell in our school but boy could
he teach*! He managed to kick me in onto the narrow path of actually
caring about speaking and writing correctly, and the beauty and elegance
of language in general**.

*)	His ex-students would usually average one grade higher in
	languages than other students when they went on to college.
**)	Although I frequently fail to produce such elegance myself, as
	shown numerous times on this list***!
***)	I'm a bit prone to trying to use language that strictly speaking
	is above my abilities... Thus errors occur.

Stig
--
brautaset.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk