[Gllug] Bandwidth aggregation techniques

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 00:02:09 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 08:59, Mark Lowes wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 01:03, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> >
> > Firstly  - this is a rhetorical question. I don't have 10 ADSL lines,
> > nor do I think I ever will :-). This was inspired by my noting that BT
> > will provide 512kbps ADSL up to 5.5km from the exchange, but 2Mbps only
> > 3.5 km from the exchange.
>
> If you're trying to achieve a total available of 5Mbps but no single
> traffic connection of greater than 512kbps then it's possible without
> additional endpoint work.  I don't know whether there's any software to
> enable this though.
>
> If you're after a 'virtual connection' which hides all the half-meg
> pipes and allows you to burst to a single site at up to 5Mbps then
> you're out of luck without something at the endpoint.

Yes, that was the conclusion I'd come to.

> The big problem is that you're dealing with 10 connections with unique
> IPs, and I doubt any ISP is going to setup dynamic routing for you
> across ADSL, at least not without charging for the service :)

The ADSL wasn't really the issue - I just used it to illustrate the
scenario. This was of purely academic interest at the moment. I do like
the idea of getting fast data paths via bonding multiple interfaces
though. Would be a great way of getting gigabit speeds with cheap
hardware. A couple of quad port NIC's would do wonders :-).

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk