[Gllug] Flavours end - Linux begins?

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Mon Nov 18 09:14:03 UTC 2002

At 08:56 18/11/02, you wrote:
>On Mon 18 Nov, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> >
> > At 20:39 17/11/02, you wrote:
> > >On Sun 17 Nov, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
>

> > >    The problem with books, and any other documentation, is that they
> become
> > >outdated so quickly. It took me some time to discover just how much
> > >documentation comes with the individual packages, and where to find it on
> > >disc.
> > >Other documentation may be available with the distribution, but not
> > >installed by default
> >
> > well, I've been rooting around and found little. Some of the stuff with
> > SUSE is practically illegible, specifically four 'free' books. Some of
> them
> > are actually written in a very poor font with white print on a black
> > background. Weird. And useless. If it wasn't for all the good things I
> keep
> > hearing about SUSE (Linux format just gave it 9 out of 10) and, not
> > forgetting the £60 I spent on it, I'd head for something else. I'm coming
> > to the conclusion if you know how to use it it's probably, naw - possibly,
> > great. But for a beginner, jeez.
> >
> > >. For very good reasons
> >
> > to give us a hard time :)
> >
> > >the default location of files,
> > >and their internal structures, can change between versions, so even that
> > >documentation can be slightly out of date. I have set up two monitors side
> > >by side so that I can read the documentation from one computer while I
> work
> > >on another.
> >
> > David Bowie style :)
> >

> > thanks for your time, Chris.
> > Dermot
>
>    I am trying to learn the Debian distribution, and there are mainly
>symbolic links in /usr/doc, with the majority of the documentation in
>/usr/share/doc as either uncompressed or gzipped, plain text or html, files.
>I use "ls" or "ls -l" to list each directory layer in turn to make sure that
>I do not miss anything, and pipe the output into either more or less so that
>they do not just fly past the screen:
>
>ls -l /usr/share/doc | less
>
>    Most items are listed under the package names, and are themselves
>directories, but do not miss the Linux Documentation Project howto and
>mini.howto series. Plain text files can be viewed using less, or zless for
>gzipped files. There are also the "man" pages, if you do not know the name
>of a relevant man page, type
>
>apropos <string>
>
>to get a list of man pages whose header contains <string>, each will be
>listed as <name><#> which is then accessed using
>
>man # <name>
>

>--
>Chris Bell

Thanks Chris, I've been using man a bit and I've printed out some of the
HOWTOs.
Can I ask probably a very beginner question:
How can I get it to give me a printout of  e.g.
man ls
Reading off my cheap monitor is a pain. I need to relax while I read it.

I wouldn't waste your time with this if the answer was readily available
elsewhere.
Thanks
Dermot.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk