[Gllug] TV out

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Nov 4 09:43:50 UTC 2002

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 15:15, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>
> I'm curious as to why you'd go Nvidia - they are *entirely* closed
> source. Matrox aren't perfect, but at least it's possible to use most of
> the functionality of their products without resorting to binary only
> code. It looks to me as though you should be able to use the Matrox
> cards without resorting to proprietary drivers, even though the
> necessary patches aren't blessed by Matrox.

I was under the impression that only the kernel module is binary only
and that the GLX bits were open. (i may be wrong though) Anyhow the only
graphics cards that provide me with the functionality to run the
software that I want to under Linux are the Nvidia cards with closed
source drivers.

If you want to play unreal tournament 2003 the only gfx cards to support
the needed GL extensions are the Nvidia cards with the closed drivers,
ATI don't have them and the Matrox cards are really not fast enough to
run the game at anything like the framerates of the Nvidia cards.

Also the Nvidia cards can be run with the nv driver in X 4.x without
resorting to the binary only drivers. Of course I would much prefer it
if the drivers for the Nvidia cards were open source but rock and hard
place come to mind as if I choose another manufacturer/card then I would
have to use windows to play games, but if i choose Nvidia I have to use
a closed driver but without lots of reboots to play games etc.....

Adam
PS some of the high end ATI cards (did?) only have binary only kernel
modules like the FireGL2 which there is a rather large stack of sitting
not to far away from me, hopefully Nvidia if they give up on the Linux
"support" in the future they will at least open their drivers so that
the hardware doesn't become useless for 3d in Linux.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk