[Gllug] Installing linux from a parallel port CDROM drive

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Nov 20 23:41:13 UTC 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:20:10PM -0000, Jonathan wrote:
> Is it possible?
> My father has an old PC and he wants to have a play with linux on it.  The
> PC only has a CDROM that is attached via the parallel port.  Having a search
> around I've discovered that linux has support for some of these devices
> (using paride, ATAPI CDROM and other drivers).

Any decent Linux distribution has been capable of this for some years (I
know RedHat 5.x could do it).  All the distributions have online
installation manuals, just read the documentation carefully and make
sure you are using the correct boot disk.  You may need to give some
extra parameters at the boot prompt.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.