[Gllug] Linux for dentists

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Tue Nov 26 16:41:45 UTC 2002

In message <3DE2A23E.8080405 at markpreston.co.uk>, Mark Preston
<mark at markpreston.co.uk> writes

>3. Database incompatibilities between different suppliers.

This is relatively simple to deal with. If there is a single central
body that has a reliable web-server then an XML schema can be created
for interchange files.

This has several advantages. The first is that it makes data validation
easier, The second is that it makes it quite clear who is responsible
for validating data files (the sender). The third and less obvious one
is that if the receiver rejects a data file because it doesn't validate
then it's possible to blame the machine and not a person. That saves a
lot of arguments.

XML is a platform-neutral technology that enables UNIX and Windows
systems to work together.

>4. The change to using the internet to send data (Web EDI) is an
>important step, but this could have disasterous consequences for
>dentists whose intranets may well become dangerously exposed to viruses
>and crackers on the internet. Securing a computer network exposed to the
>internet is quite an undertaking, especially for always on broadband
>connections.

AIUI most of the recent malware incidents have been Outlook worms or
attacks on server software. As most businesses use Internet e-mail
anyway there is no additional risk in using the Internet for EDI
provided that the mail client is something other than Outlook and they
don't run unnecessary server processes.

If the dentist's systems hold confidential patient data then it's
arguable that they are not permitted to use Outlook because the Data
Protection Act requires them to take all reasonable precautions to
eliminate anything that risks breaching patient confidentiality. I note
with interest that several large pharmaceutical companies have switched
to using Lotus Notes for their e-mail.

If you really wanted to get up Bill Gates' (grammar?) nose then you
could claim that it's impossible to validate an open computer system
without access to the source code for all of the OS and application
programs.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com