[Gllug] ADSL or cable?

Matthew Thompson matt at actuality.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 22:52:35 UTC 2002

> NTL told me that there is no contention ratio on their cable service
> and
> experience bears this out, I get a good 1Mb/s and can download a CD in
> an hour and a half, reliably. A friend subscribed to their 128Kb/s
> service and we measured her connection at about 190Kb/s. Mine delivers
> exactly what was promised.

NTL are lieing to you then. NTL as with Telewest operate a non specific
contention system where the contention is set by the number of
customers in the area you are connected to against the bandwidth
available.

Cable Modem systems are an inherently shared infrastructure unlike DSL
which can, and is setup as a point to point system. The contention
ratios quoted are the maximum allowed by BT at the "fat pipe" end of
the connection.

I too have never seen slower than the quoted speed of the line when
accessing the right sites although if you're getting a CD in an hour
and a half it sounds like you're getting faster than 1Mbps or you're
beingshort changed on your CDs. On the end of a 2Mbps leased line I get
CDs in about 1 hour - full 650 - 700Mb ISO images.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk