[Gllug] Bandwidth aggregation techniques

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri Nov 22 11:21:46 UTC 2002

Mike Brodbelt(mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk)@Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:03:52AM +0000:

> Firstly  - this is a rhetorical question. I don't have 10 ADSL lines,
> nor do I think I ever will :-). This was inspired by my noting that BT
> will provide 512kbps ADSL up to 5.5km from the exchange, but 2Mbps only
> 3.5 km from the exchange.
>
> So, if one wanted, for the sake of argument, a 5Mbps connection, one
> could get 10 analogue lines provisioned, and then order 512kbps ADSL on
> each line. Assume a miracle occurs, and you can get this off BT, and
> further, assume that each DSL link terminated on a router, you'd end up
> with 10 ethernet interfaces, each capable of 512kbps downstream and
> 256kbps upstream.
>
> Would it be possible to configure a linux box to bind these together?
> I'd envision a machine with 11 ethernet cards - one to a private
> network, and the other 10 connected to the 10 routers. Then, you'd want
> some kind of software to present those 10 physical interfaces as a
> single virtual 5Mpbs interface, and load balance across each of them, as
> transparently as possible.

go have a look at:
 http://www.lartc.org/

it's not quite bonding, but you can easily setup different routing
policies based upon properties of the IP packets.  which would allow you
to utilize each and every link concurrently.  with some clever rules you
could ensure maximum total usage of all available channels.

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Dain bramaged

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk