[Gllug] floppy disc access

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 2 22:27:56 UTC 2002

On Sat 02 Nov, George F. Saxby wrote:

> On Saturday 02 November 2002 13:58, you wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have recently installed Mandrake 9.0 rc3 onto some old hardware, and
> > everything is working except the floppy disk. It doesn't show up even
> > when I add the line
>
> <SNIP>
>  er silly questions :-
>  does the BIOS see the floppy disk?
>  Is the floppy disc activated at boot up switched on in the BIOS?
> </SNIP>
>
> > Any ideas how to get the floppy disk recognized and mounted would be
> > appreciated.
> > Regards,
> > Mark Preston
>
> --
> Bandiera tuxa trionfera,
> Evviva il penguin e la liberta
> www.saltmine.org.uk
>
>                George F. Saxby

   Check that the floppy is connected to the end of the ribbon cable,
after the twist in the ribbon, and that the BIOS is set for normal
floppy operation. Standard PC practice is to have the floppy set to
address 1, with the cable twisted so that the address wires are crossed
over and the floppy answers to address 0. A second identical floppy can
then be added via the first connector, and it will appear as address 1.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk