[Gllug] Some scruffy nerds

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Sat Nov 23 12:27:59 UTC 2002

>    A local college ruled out LINUX simply because the advocates for
>implementing it were perceived as a threat and and the management
>did not quote" want to be held to ransom by some scruffy nerds"

I have been a closet scruffy nerd for some years. One clue was the
Sun 3/60 I bought from spuddy.UCCP many moons ago running SunOS 4.0.3
(a proprietary OS).

There is no sense in promoting Linux and then arguing over which
distro is the best. If you want to impress local colleges (and all
others) I would say "buy Mac" and stand back when you tell them how
much it will cost.

GNU/Linux is for all. All school students should be educated with
basic (GNU/Linux, XP, and MacOS) sys op skills, in the same way that
skool kidz in the US learn "drivers education". After all, since
everybody (!) in America drives a car, so everybody in the UK will
use a computer at home or at work or both.

Always give the secrets away. Be honest with clients (within reason),
tell them the Microsoft is an *expensive* solution that will bind
them in pact with Uncle Bill Gates and Brother Steve "Developers,
developers, developers!" Ballmer for ever and ever. Cousin Steve Jobs
is the highest paid executive in America, whilst Apple suffer severe
financial problems...

Tell 'em about open source, explain that you may have to pay for support...

In the other words,,,

Keep the faith.

Gordo

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/steve/default.asp