[Gllug] The importance of the PC to free software (was Barbican website...)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 17 12:54:18 UTC 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Adam Bower spake:
> gcc development started in 1987 apparently...
> http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html#timeline

No, that was the first beta. Development started before 1987:
<http://www.gnu.org/bulletins/bull3.html> refers to *continued*
development, so it had been going for some time.

The earliest copyright date in the changelogs (you have to dig them out
of old CVS because the ancient changelogs aren't kept anywhere else)
dates from GCC 1.17; older versions had no changelogs; yet older
versions weren't even kept in a revision control system, and I guess
their history is lost in the mists of time.

I know that G++ was one of the first non-cfront C++ compilers.

> thats quite a bit before the first linux release was a twinkle in
> Linus Torvalds eye...

Quite so. GCC still shows its architectural heritage as a compiler for
CISC chips (m68k and SPARC).

--
`I keep hearing about SF writers dying, but I never hear about SF
 writers being born.  So I guess eventually there'll be none left.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk