[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Nov 25 23:40:47 UTC 2002

On Monday 25 November 2002 22:56, Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:35:25PM +0000, Dylan wrote:
> > On Monday 25 November 2002 20:13, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> > > Definately               =   Definitely
>
> I'm definately* guilty of this one. :(
>
> *yes, that was on purpose. :)
>
> > > I could of done it       =   I could have done it
> >
> > Actually, it = I could've done it.
> >
> > [snip]
>
> I've heard people actually enunciate "could of" which is kinda scary.

That's the first stage of the process, it became widespread during the late
70's.

> As for kinda/sorta/wanna/gotta/etc I think that as long as everyone
> understands that they're just contractions of sorts, then I think in casual
> conversation they're perfectly acceptable.  Then again, what I think
> doesn't really mean much considering English was never my best subject at
> school.
>
> BTW, while we're on the topic, can anyone confirm or deny the proper
> subjective

I think you mean 'subjunctive'?

> forms of the verb 'to be'?  I've heard incantations like "I
> would if I were more diligent" etc.
>  I can't remember hearing this before
> about 1990, so I'm not sure if this is a recent change in the language.
> After all, you never hear people say "You would if you was more diligent"
> do you?

The subjunctive has almost completely fallen out of use, remaining as a formal
rhetoric device. The only remaining form is *were* in all persons:

I were; you were; he/she/it were; we were; you were; they were

It always occurs in 'conditional' situations, like after *if* in your example
or as a 'conditional adjunct clause' as it:

Were he to do that, I would have to retaliate. compare: If he did that, I ...

> > > Usual ESL exceptions apply
> >
> > The usual ESL exceptions apply.
>
> ESL?

English as a Second Language