[Gllug] Linux and Novell

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Nov 18 20:25:11 UTC 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 07:28:59PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> I've just started a new job at a local school as a network manager.
>
> We are running novell servers (boy am i having to brush up on them).
>
> I've had a search on the web for connecting linux to novell but it all
> seems quite dated, so has any one done this recently.
>
> I'd like to be able to authenticate against the server : maybe pam ?
>
> And mount directories : budget doesn't extend to novell nfs, so ncpfs ?
>
> Any big gotchas to be aware off ?

Not really.  ncpfs works fine, as does the pam_ncp module.  You have to
authenticate against each server separately, even if you are running NDS
(in which case you will need to be running bindery emulation).  ncpfs
can even do ncp over ip, so can cope fine with Netware 5 and up.

But remember that if you mount a Netware share on a linux box, the
mounted filesystem has the owner and group specified at mount time (or
that of the mounting user, otherwise).  Authenticating against
bindery/NDS won't magically enable users on your Linux systems to see
the Netware group and user permissions.  If you want that kind of access
you will need the Netware NFS software.

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.