[Gllug] Linuxemporium - Pink Tie

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 19:38:46 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 16:59, John Winters wrote:
> Due to volume of e-mail I'm not currently subscribed to the GLLUG list
> but Alain copied me on this.
>
> There's been a lot of talk in this kind of vein but having investigated
> it I don't believe it's correct.  An important point to note is that as
> of 8.0, RH is *not* licensed under the GPL.  (Actually, it never was,
> but in the past all the components provided by RH were GPL.  This is no
> longer the case.)

I've been a upporter of RH for several years now - despite what others
have said about them, they've always contributed more GPL'd software
back to the pool, and have always made their distro easily available.
I'm saddened to hear that this is no longer the case. Can you give a
brief run down of the bits of 8 that aren't GPL? Do they still fall
under the "open-source" definition? Is it still legal for me to make
copies of downloaded ISO's for friends? I assume the answer to the
latter is yes, but does that mean the ISO's available from
ftp.redhat.com have had some software removed?

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk