[Gllug] Linux for dentists

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Nov 26 16:54:04 UTC 2002

Mark Preston wrote:
> Hi all,
> The Information Technology Task Group of the Dentistry Modernisation
> Steering Group produced an IT report last year. This report strongly
> urged that a group be set up to look at the implications of IT in
> dentistry. So the IT&C Steering Group was set up. This group has
> worked together to produce the Dental IT Strategy, which ensures that
> dentistry is integrated in to the wider NHS IT programme. A member of
> this group has asked me to make a case for using an "Open-Source"/ Linux
> based solution for GDPs (General Dental Practitioners) on a side of A4
> for review at their next meeting. I have had a go - see below:-

Hi Mark,
	a couple of queries

do you need to put the general case for an electronic solution ? - it
looks to me that the main strategy document already does this.

Is the audience the IT steering group ? (should the doc be less techy ?)

What are the data storage requirements? - if they need to keep the
system running for 100 years they may want to avoid paying a yearly license.

What about a cross platform system ? so dentists using Microsoft (or
apple etc) systems  already could just install a new app, while others
could get a low cost Linux appliance.

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk