[Gllug] imasq inconsistent

Branden Faulls omphe at keiko.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 10 12:23:09 UTC 2002

I've been setting up my main debian box for IP-masquerading  using the
imasq package.  When I am able to get the forwarding working, it works
brilliantly.  I can ping from all edges and browse the Web from all
boxes on the wired and wireless network.  Great.

Problem is  that inorder to get masquerading to work, I have to pon/poff
and imasq repeatedly inorder to get the connection work.  I have tried
adding /usr/bin/imasq to the end of my pon script, with little success.
 If I call the script  as a non-root user I get Permission complaints
about setting IP-tables.  If I call pon as root,  I succeed one time out
of maybe five attempts.  This scattershot approach is like slapping the
side of the TV to improve tuning.

I'm chasing my gnubie tail.  Somebody slap some sense into me.

Details:

Debian woody / 2.2.20 kernel / dial-up connection via pon

Branden Faulls

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk