[Gllug] [Reminder] Next GLLUG Meeting - 7th December 2002

GLLUG Organiser gllugadmin at linux.co.uk
Fri Nov 29 07:21:12 UTC 2002

[Just 8 days to go!]

Meeting: 7th December 2002

   The Greater London Linux User Group is set to have another meeting.

   That's right, there is a GLLUG meeting on Saturday 7th December,
   between 12noon and 5pm.

   We will be meeting in the New Cavendish Street campus of Westminster
   University. This is in the shadow of the BT Tower, the nearest
   tube stations are Great Portland Street, Warren Street and Goodge
   Street. You will find a map at [http://www.wmin.ac.uk/static/maps.asp]
   or via the html version of this message at the GLLUG web site.

   NOTE: you will need to sign in at the front desk to gain access to
   the building. There are building works at the moment but we'll post
   signs if the entrance has moved.

Talks

   We have three talks planned for the December meeting. These will be
   in the large lecture theatre on the second floor:-

  12:00 - 12:30

   Welcome and Introduction.  also opportunity to try and debug overhead
   projectors :-)

  12:30 - 13:30

   Professor Peter Kacsuk - Cluster and Grid talk.

   This will be an introductory talk along the lines of: what is a
   cluster, what is the grid, what problems can be solved using clusters
   and the grid.

   He has lots of material and can change the talk depending on what
   people want on the day.

  14:00 - 15:00

   Michael Meeks - Gnome 2: Desktop of the future

   This talk will showcase the Gnome project, and show how we are
   developing our vision of "Free software on every desktop". With
   extensive demos of Evolution (our Outlook replacement), and the range
   of desktop applications.

   New features in the recent 2.0 release will gleam at onlookers, plus
   how our strategic direction and long term vision matches business
   needs. Accessibility support for impaired users, vital for government
   deployment, and US software sales will also be demonstrated.

  15:30 - 16:30

   Alasdair G Kergon - Logical Volume Management - LVM/LVM2

   LVM is the established standard for on-line disk storage management
   under Linux. It is included in the 2.4 kernel series.

   LVM2 is the new implementation of LVM available from
   ftp://ftp.sistina.com/pub/LVM2/ which uses a lightweight kernel driver
   known as the 'device-mapper' that provides generic support for volume
   management. The device-mapper is included in the 2.5 kernel series
   and is available as a patch for 2.4.

   LVM2 introduces a new metadata format designed to improve efficiency
   and to offer more options for recovery in the event of problems.

   The aims of this talk are:
    1. To introduce LVM concepts and tools under Linux;
    2. To explain the architecture we chose for LVM2 and the
       device-mapper, and to demonstrate some of the new features
       provided.

   To round the meeting off: Steve Cobrin will chair an open forum
   discussion. The topic is open, but some topics to get you thinking
   could be: 'KDE vs Gnome vs others. (handy since Michael will be here)'

   Do please be aware that we can't guarantee that the talks will happen
   at the times stated, but we will do our best to make sure they do.

Other activities

   Away from the formal lectures, we have two rooms set aside, both on
   the second floor, same level as main lecture room.

   The network lab, as it is known, can be used for rolling demos of
   Linux being installations and to experiment with configuration.

   We also have the Multimedia room. This will be used for people to set
   is up their own machines. You can do this if you have something to
   show off, or you are looking for a solution to some problems. If your
   are bringing in your own machine, make sure you sign it in when you
   arrive, otherwise security won't let you take it when you go! We'll
   have monitors, keyboards, mice, and powerleads available. [So no need
   to lug all that stuff].

   We will have access to some of the latest iso images and a CD-Burner.

   If you decide to bring a PC, please have the serial number written
   down ahead of time, in case it needs to be registered at the ground
   floor Reception. We may also take a picture of you and your PC as
   proof of ownership.

   The network lab and the multimedia room are the places you can go to,
   should you be looking for sanctuary away from the formal talks. If
   we're lucky the Refectory on the ground floor will have its food and
   drinks machines restocked.

After

   After the meeting, for those that want, the group will move off to
   'The Green Man' public house, very close to Great Portland Street. We
   have it booked from 5:30pm, part of the ground floor area of the bar is
   reserved for us. Even if you were unable to make the daytime meeting,
   please feel free to join us at the pub. To help you find the pub have
   a look at this external streetmap link.

Next meeting

   The date for the next meeting has not yet been set, but should be a
   Saturday sometime in January or early February; keep watching these
   pages for further announcements.

Contact us

        If you have any ideas for future events, you can either discuss
        them on the main mailing list, or get our direct attention by
        mailing to gllugadmin at linux.co.uk

  -- Steve Cobrin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk