[Gllug] ADSL or cable?

Matthew Thompson matt at actuality.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 10:03:37 UTC 2002

>> Is either one better than the other? Any recommendations?
>
> don't know what the adsl-people provide, but blueyonder can provide you
> with a 1mbit connection, which is quite nice compared to 0.5mbit (duh)

Well ADSL goes upto 2Mbps if you can afford it. ADSL is also 256kbps
upstream as opposed to most cable providers' 128kbps - not a huge difference
but noticable if you plan on doing remote access or hosting.

Nildram, and others, will also provide a block of routed IP Addresses over
the domestic wires only service. I pay slightly over £30 per month and get
512kbps downstream and a block of 8 IP addresses.

For any network with multiple machines or hosting requirements this is far
more flexible than cable which usually only offers a DHCP assigned dynamic
address and resticts connection to a specific device by MAC address. A
simple ADSL router can provide all the machines on a network with
connectivity in a simple one-box solution.

Cable requires a cable modem and a router/firewall device to provide this.

Also if you're in the right areas you can get SDSL from various suppliers
such as Mailbox. This provides a lower contention ratio (10:1 maximum) and,
as the name implies, the same speed in both directions.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk