[Gllug] Urgent

John Winters john at linuxemporium.co.uk
Sat Nov 30 13:18:32 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 11:32, Gordon Joly wrote:
> At 10:57 +0000 2002-11-30, John Winters wrote:
> >On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 08:50, Sudhir Anand wrote:
> >> Please do not respond to this message.  Ignore it altogether.

> >[Nigerian scam snipped]
> >
> >This is the one kind of UBE I do respond to and am thinking of setting
> >up an auto-responder.  They're unique in that they do actually tend to
> >have a real reply-to address.  If everyone responded, either with a
> >simple, "No thanks" or something more direct, the senders would be
> >thoroughly overwhelmed and it might discourage them.
> >
> >Presumably it should be possible to train Bogofilter to identify
> >specifically these.
> >
> >John
>
> Yes; and then they would respond with....

IME they don't.  If you say, "No thank you" you hear no more.

> Fighting fire with fire seems like a bad idea, when the bounces and
> counter-bounces might expand exponentially.

But they aren't bounces.  They're query and response.

> After all, it is all extra traffic? And who pays for that?

Currently I pay to receive their junk.  I don't see why they shouldn't
pay to get my response.

Spammers rely on being able to send out vast amounts of crap (at someone
else's expense).  The Nigerian scam spammers have a big hole in their
business model - they need to give a real reply address.  By exploiting
this hole it might be possible to dispose of them.

John

--
The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk