[Gllug] Re: [very OT] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Tue Nov 26 11:48:45 UTC 2002

Tethys wrote:
> Jonathan Dye writes:
>
>>> You left school quite some time ago, or at least didn't go to any
>>> as bad as I did.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> I don't remember doing much in the way of English language when I
>> was at school (only a few years ago), it all seemed to concentrate
>> on English Literature at secondary school and my primary school
>> experience seemed to miss out quite a few things.
>
> When I was at school (in the '80s), English was split exactly 50/50
> between language and literature. Both were compulsory, and while I
> wouldn't say there was a strong emphasis on grammar and spelling,
> we certainly had all the rules explained to us, and were marked down
> for grammatical and spelling errors.

We had to do both an English Language and an English Literature GCSE
(although if you were bad at Language you spent 100% on Language and did
only that exam).  We certainly got marked down for bad spelling and grammer
but I don't actually remember being taugh much Language past primary age.  I
guess if I had ended up in the Language only group I would have!  Pitty
really as I ended up having to resit my English Language GCSE to get a good
enough grade to go to University.  At the time I didn't care enough about
English Language to work at it but I r egret that now.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk