[Gllug] re-routing log files Thanx 2 all

George Saxby George.Saxby at racc.ac.uk
Mon Nov 18 11:02:40 UTC 2002

Hi,
 Thank you Xander & all who helped out

George F. Saxby
    Systems Engineer
       I.T.S. Team

George F. Saxby wrote:

>hi,
> Just a quick question, I have a very remote box with very little disk space
>that falls over through too many log files being archived.
>    Is there a way to have them sent to me here rather than on the local box
>via email ?

This is very easy to do.

In the /etc/syslog.conf file you can choose which messages you want to
send on and to where:
# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages
*.info
        @logserver.harkness.co.uk

Then in the file /etc/sysconfig/syslog  (I am running RH) on the logserver
the SYSLOGD options are

SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-m 0 -r"

Basically you need to start syslog with the -r flag to accept remote logs

and watch them roll in.

Note I started running the log server on an internal nameserver (it was
a box with a slow cpu) the cpu could not deal with processing the
incoming logs from about 20-30 boxes and serve up dns lookups.  I may
have lost some logs.  When you set ip up have a good nosey to ensure you
are capturing all traffic.

Cheers
Xander

--
Those who can, do; those who can't, simulate.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk