[Gllug] bridging ports on a 3com switch

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sat Nov 30 22:53:46 UTC 2002

Matthew Thompson wrote:
> On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 10:41 AM, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>
>> John Hearns wrote:

>>> Xander, a diagram would help here.
>>
>> A diagram is attached
>>
>> It is channel bonding that is being used.  You are quite correct, the
>> switches were purchased for this purpose.  They have worked at some
>> point; however the behaviour they are exhibiting seemed very odd.
>

> Now I see.
>
>> Obviously to ssh to a point there must be two way traffic; however
>> this traffic may only be initiated from one side of the network.
>>

>> Network X and Y are separated on the diagram to show two separate
>> buildings.  They are both part of the same physical network
>> 192.168.5.0/24
>>
>> I can Ping from X to Y and SSH from a host in building X to Y.  I
>> cannot do the reverse.
>>
>> If A and B and C and D are swapped
>>
>> I can then ping from Y to X and ssh from a host in Y to X but I can no
>> longer ping from X to Y or ssh.
>

> You're using straight cables I take it. Can you try swapping the cables
> out for new or confirmed ones? Also does it work if you take one pair of
> the wireless units out completely?
Yes it does.

I have used both sides individually.  I have been working on it today.
It seems that one of the aerials has been working intermittently.  I
have packed all up to be sent back.

It still does puzzle me how the network traffic would only be directed
in such a bizarre fashion.

Thanks to all for the help :-))))

Kind regards
Xander