[Gllug] Year, month,day?

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Nov 12 12:45:54 UTC 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: gllug-admin at linux.co.uk [mailto:gllug-admin at linux.co.uk]On Behalf
Of Neil Fryer
Sent: Tuesday, 12 November 2002 12:19 PM
<snip>
gzip logfile.log.yyyymmdd, as there will be existing logs in the dir called
logfile.log, which will be live, and I don't wan't to zip that?
I read something different in this query than everyone else.
</snip>

I'll put in my vote for a small script. There is certainly a one-line
version of this script which I am not sufficiently knowledgeable (nor
inclined) to produce.

Something like this pseudo-code:

now=`date <some format string>`
for each file name
	if the file name is not equal to logfile.log.$now
		gzip <the file>
		other archiving operations
	end if
next

My 2p.

Richard

http://careers.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Careers
- 1,000's of jobs waiting online for you!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk