[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report (Seriously OT now!)

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Nov 29 13:59:13 UTC 2002

On Friday 29 November 2002 13:27, Gordon Joly wrote:
> >Me too, but if I was going to sue the people who "taught" me grammar
> >would be quite a way down on my lists of complaints.
> >
> >I am not bitter just damaged. :D
> >
> >Peace Jim
>
> I was lucky to be taught some English grammar at school. But most of my
> knowledge of grammar comes from my Latin, German and French lessons.
>
> Nobody learns English grammar at school these days, do they?

That depends on what you mean by 'grammar'. Three things are often confused
with grammar by polititians, policy-makers and interest groups:

- Spelling;
- Punctuation;
- 'Proscriptive' style rules.

An individual's ability to spell or punctuate according to the current
conventions is no more an indicator of their grasp of grammar than is the
legibility of their handwriting. It is, however, a measure of the
effectiveness of the methods used in teaching (which at present are flawed
because they are divorved from the underlying linguistic facts.) The
proscriptive rules (such as "use X and I"; "never end a sentence with a
preposition" and "never start a sentence with a conjunction") are just plain
WRONG. The pseudo-definition of 'sentence' as that which occurs between a
capital letter and a full stop has no relation to the linguistic structure.

If, on the other hand, you mean the nature of 'parts of speech' and the
hierarchical constituency of sentences, then it's a completely different
matter. If linguists cannot agree on the definition of a sentence, or what
constitutes a noun, or verb, or whatever (or even how many *word-classes*
[~parts of speech] there are) then how can anyone hope to teach these to
schoolchildren? When it comes to it, imparting this conscious knowledge has
absolutely no effect on a person's linguistic ability, and research suggests
that (particularly for the style rules) it may well even be
counterproductive.

> ***
>
> Now, I am getting warmed up... so take the BBC....
>
> "This report from Claire Brown in Edinburgh"
>
> This is not a sentence. since it has not verb (in the predicate).

This is a perfectly valid elliptical sentence. Modern European languages are
in the vast minority in having (let alone requiring) an overt copula (BE) in
this type of sentence. Neither Latin nor Ancient Greek required such a
construction.

Dylan

--
"Sweet moderation