[Gllug] Hardware help needed

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Mon Nov 25 01:27:17 UTC 2002

> On Sunday 24 Nov 2002 12:31 pm, Alain Williams wrote:
> > I changed video card, no difference.
>
> I suspect your mb is knackered or the chip has been cracked/cooked. Try a
> different Socket A chip in the motherboard. If that works, your
motherboard
> is knackered. If it doesn't, your chip is fried.
(I think the above is round the wrong way, buts its just a logic typo!!)

A couple of last gasps of desperation would be to:

a) turn it on whilst holding down the escape key (on some MBs this resets
the non vol memory)
b) look for a jumper that empties the non-vol memory
c) disconnect from the mains and remove the battery (count to 10 at least,
to again clear the non vol)

This has been a last ditch savour for me a couple of times when the
processor has been changed and the settings in the non vol doesn't match the
actual processor.

Personally I think the motherboard is poorly.  I've had a few DOA MBs but
never a DOA processors.

Andy
p.s.  I presume when you press the on switch the processor fan starts and
the harddrives powerup (or at least did when they were still plugged in).
p.p.s Are there any POST beeps?  Depending o nthe bios (AMI or Award) these
can tell you whats going on....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk