[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Sat Nov 9 21:09:08 UTC 2002

Good news. At last I've managed to connect to the Internet. Entered the
settings as root in wvdial.conf.
Now I open a console, type Su, my password, Wvdial, click on a link and I'm on.
It's a bit of a hassle - why do I have to be su. to make this happen? I
certainly do not want to be comparing this with the way I just have to
click on a link in Windows and the dialling follows automatically, however,
it's my only frame of reference.  Is this the only way I can get on the net
with linux?
By the way, during the loading of Linux I notice that PPP0 is listed as
'manual' whereas everything else is listed as 'done'. Would that be
anything to do with it?

Thanks go to Vincent, Jason, Andrew H, Andrew W, Mark, Michael, Bruce,
mriscott, Jim, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all. Apologies if I've left anybody
out. I tried everything, no kidding, that was suggested. Some were probably
opposites! I had to reinstall Linux at one stage just to get my bearings
again. I then went back to wvdial as I had got farther with that than
anything else. Also, I checked out the suggested links.
So, thanks again to all and sundry - yee've got a nice thing here.
If anyone has time for any suggestions as to how I can do things as an
ordinary user I'd be grateful.
all the best
Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk